Friday, March 7, 2008

Being Home!

Tonight I had an amazing night with some cool peeps. I went to a show at the venue down the street named Cabaret which I also work at sometimes. THe artist playing this evening was named Amanda Mabro who is a jazz, soul-ie singer backed by a band. She and her band were pretty good actually and I am glad I got too see the show.
After the show a couple of friends/ people who work at the Cabaret came up into my neighborhood to the local-pub/ restaurant for some food and drinks. My time was spent talking too some homegrrls named Meghan/ and Dara about growing up, Canada and Canadian culture. It was so neat and cool. I left Canada when I was 12 so there are definitely ALOT of things I missed out on in this country. The things I missed out on were definitely made up for better/ or worse in my time spent in the US but there were definitely times of difference.
I found out the Meghan was born, and raised in Chilliwack, BC which is cool/ funny. Both my Mum and Dad were rasied, and grew up in Chilliwack, BC and both have most of their family still living there so I have been there many many many times. It was funny having that bond for sure. It makes you think about how small Canada and it's people really are. THere are more people that live in California (36 million) then there is in all of Canada (33 million) with Canada being the 2nd largest country in the world by area.
Living in the states and living where I have lived I have definitely come across other people who have lived in other places I have etc etc but honestly that is far and in between.
But coming across people who have come from the same places where your roots have actually been formed is always a nice thing and for me that is Canada, the Prairies (where i was born.....Grande Praiire....the end of the Prairies although we are still called "GRANDE'), Chilliwack and all of southern British Columbia, Vancouver Island.
Also this evening I was informed of the Canadian Heritage Minutes which were 1 min or so commercials during television in Canada which were a short stories about some historic event in Canadian History......RAD.....!!!!

No comments: