Monday, April 14, 2008

Middle Of Nowhere, Middle of Idaho, Middle of the Mountains

Monday, April14, 2008- the Rocky Mountains, Idaho

Just waking up here at Greg’s house. The most amazing thing ever is my little nook where I am sleeping which is overlooking the downstairs out through the main glass windows with a gigantic lake in the back ground and a huge mountain range behind that. NATURE!!!! I slept with ear plugs last night due to a movie being played below however I can assure you this is one of the quietest places ever.

So I do this writing for myself personally too collect and look back on but also for family/ friends to check out so they have somewhat of an idea of what I am up too. Most trips/ tours I take in everything pretty solo. Usually I am with tour buds etc etc but when tour is done we all go to our own places/ homes and get back to our normal lives. Sometimes it’s hard to come home and try to replay the adventures that were just experienced so the writing things down is the closest that I can get.

I just confirmed another tour on this tour which I am looking forward to.
It’s with an Austrailian band named Cut Copy and they have a nice electronic vibe too them. I am definitely all about the axes, skins and the thrash for sure but I have a soft spot for many many other types of tunes. This will be a change and I do actually really enjoy the tunes that I have heard from the CC. Plus my friend Heather needed someone to cover her so it’s helping her out and my friend and old tour mate Tito is going to be their tour manager. STOKED!!!

Just read an article in the Globe and Mail in regards to a major ice shelf in the arctic (Canada) has now split into 3 after discovery earlier this month by scientists on sno-mobile. “the map of Canada is changing”. Totally crazy.

So today has been a super chill relaxing day. Woke up, had some breakfast of raisin bran, soy milk and a couple red vines. Greg and K8 went into town to get groceries for our feast we will cook tonight while the others of us watched Cheech and Chong’s Up In Smoke. We planned on going to the Gold Fork Hot Springs so once the movie was finished we all hoped into the Castle and cruised back down the mountain through the back country onto a dirt road which about 30 mins later brought us to the Springs.

There was 4 good sized pool ranging from 109, 103, 97, and 92 degrees F surrounded by snow, trees, and gigantic rocks. The water from the Spring was coming from 5000 feet below ground and is actually about 150 degrees F when it’s coming out however there is a big trough that was built for the water to run through, and cool down before entering the pools.
I have been to other Hot Springs in the past and they all usually have the rotten egg smell from the sulphur and the other minerals coming through. Nothing major. Well Gold Fork didn’t have this scent because they are alkaline heated pools.
The fellow that was working there said the best thing for the body, and joints was to go from the 109 degree pool to the 103 pool back and forth every couple of minutes. I guess with all the minerals in this water and the heat this combination really helps break down lactic acid which I think is stored in joint.
Currently my skin has this very smooth feel too it and while swimming we all felt somewhat “slimy” which was a nice sensation because you knew it was from the minerals.
Thus far today has been an incredible day off/ chill today and im looking forward to our feast this evening and then having an incredible sleep.




Sunday. April 13, 2008- Middle of nowhere, middle of Idaho

Totally bummed. The last couple of days have been beyond amazing. With this I have also taken a lot of pics of the times however this evening my camera, and computer just didn’t seem to vibe with each other therefore the photos are gone.
Oh well. With toys as such problems as such are bound too happen.

So we are all just currently chilling out at Greg’s house in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the rockies, in the middle of Idaho.
It’s completely out of this world actually. His house is located near a town named McCall, ID which seems too only have a population of about 3000 or so. Super small. We’ll Gregs house is about 20 mins away from McCall on a mountain side over looking Lake Payette with another mountain range behind this.

We came here today because Greg had set up a show at the local ski hill (Brundage) and then we have 2 days off in which we plan on staying here for most of it.
When I say “here” I mean in a house in the middle of the mountains. Totally amazing. Earlier Greg took Dubs, K8 and myself too his barn where we all grabbed bails of hay to bring outside to lay for the Elk this evening. Driving up the mountain about 5 mins down the road we passed a gang of about 10 elk eating in someone’s yard so they are bound to make their ways towards us.

The last couple days have been totally amazing.
We had a good show as well as good hang session in San Fran, CA. A friend of mine from Santa Cruz came out to the show as he always does due to his love for the Souls. I would too!. I saw my friend Heather who was in town before here return to her home in Gainesville. I had seen her a couple days prior at Bamboozle working for her dudes but we were both busy so seeing her at the show ruled. Anthony- Twan was also at the show which ruled!!. Twan tours with the Souls all the time except for this run. Dubs plays percussion on some songs which adds a little something too the show.

After the show we all went out to some local SF bar which was fun. I spent most of my night hanging with Twan and talking about adventures and what not.

The next morning the weather outside was an incredible Californian day with a nice warm temp and nice blue skies. I decided I would do my daily yoga routine outside in the courtyard, near the garden and pool. Amazing. The sun on my back and little birds cruising around the ground. The next thing in line was a ncie relaxing swim-again- in the pool before we checked out of the rooms. One last thing before leaving the SF area was too stop and get another great California burrito. Nothing compares!!

Before driving to Sacto we had planned a field trip at Muir Woods National Park.
This forest is one of the last forests of its kind due to a temperature that stays in the range of between 40 and 70 degrees. Due to it’s proximity to the Pacific Ocean the moisture in the area contributes too mass plant growth.
The redwoods are like no other tree’s I have seen. Living in Santa Cruz I was in the area of the Redwoods so am somewhat fairly familiar with them. Although this doesn’t matter because each time you are near 1 of these beast it’s mind blowing. The tree’s are so huge and there bark is so big that they are naturally fire resistant. However by logging such forests this opens them up to fires and due to the lack of tree’s the fire then over comes the other trees.
The trunks of the Redwoods are the biggest things ever and the air within the canopy of the forest was so smooth and calm.

We did our thing here for about an hour or so and then took the trucks back up the crazy super windy road to begin our journey too Sacramento.

In Sacramento we were playing Kevin Seconds (thee almighty 7 Seconds) coffee shop named True Love Coffee. The Bouncing Souls at a coffee shop.
The thing about this tour is other then Bamboozle all these shows have been in weird, small, peculiar places. A coffee shop is fitting and I know all the Souls and 7 Seconds folks have been friends for years and years.

Truelove was definitely a small coffee shop with a patio in the back where the show was taking place. Dead To Me weren’t playing and neither was A Static Radio New Jersey. Just the Souls, Kevin Seconds and some other fellow on a guitar. I would say there was about 80 people total at this show who were super stoked as was I. At a coffee shop for a Souls show. Kevin Seconds did his jamming which was cool. I didn’t talk much to the dude but he seems like the nicest dude ever and from what I have heard he is this plus more. Always nice to know and hear.
The Souls came on and played almost there whole set acoustic due to the show being outside, on the patio of a coffee shop in a neighborhood.
Super amazing hearing all the kids singing along at the same level as the band but hearing them during “Gone” ruled the most.
The last 2 songs were played loud and 1 ended up being a cover. When Bryan said over the mic “Kevin? Where’s Kevin” I knew what was happening. A 7 Seconds cover with Kevin singing. “Young Until I Die”. Bad ass. Another addition to an already special night.
After the show we had a 10 + hour drive to Portland,OR so we quickly packed all our gear up and hit the highway. We ended up only driving a couple hours a little north of Redding,CA.
Waking up in the morning was yet another amazing California day with another warm temperature with blue skies. We drove through the mountains passing Mt. Shasta on the way as well as Mt. Rainer I think in OR.
I was looking forward to Portland because Portland is always a good time and a super nice city. Also though they do have Voodoo Donuts which is open 24 hours, and serves amazing vegan donuts of many different varieties. The venue we played was exactly right next door to Voodoo which was funny. Berbati’s Pan (venue) and Voodoo are neighbors. After loading in I went straight into the shop and bought a dozen. I would say I ate only about a ½ of the box which is quite a bit. So addicting but also after 6 you feel a little weird but they were vegan so I’ll take em when I can.
The Portland show was a good one which I expected. The venue was weird and had this funky barricade in the middle of the room separating the ages. The show went off well, band played well, kids were super pumped, and everyone left happy.
The Souls do pretty alright most places but there are always certain citites where you know it’s going to be a good good time. Portland being one of many.
After our show we went out too some bar which you could smoke in. Totally surprising seeing how Portland too me has this very liberal/ chilled out/ conscious vibe. Smoking in bars still!!?? Crazy. Get with it Portland.
In the morning we went to a breakfast spot I have been too now 3 times. Vita Café is it’s name and they have amazing food for everyone. I settle on their “Country Comfort” which was biscuits/ gravy, tempeh, steamed veggies, sausage, and a nice fresh orange/ carrot juice. Yeeeehaaaaaw!!!....oh I did finish off with a chocolate/ strawberry piece of cake. The best thing about traveling is food. Straight up!!!

The next stop on the list was Seattle at the El Corazon which is a nice little venue in Seattle. Driving to Seattle was easy and a nice drive. It’s only about 2.5 hours and it’s a pretty drive. ON all our drives I am constantly always behind the castle.
I go where the castle goes. K8 was changing lanes but I could tell that she was about to make another move by her flicker of the blinker and the breaks. Just like I hypothesized she changed lanes rapidly with a carcass of a dead dear coming from underneath the castle. The thing was flipped up and thrown against us in #2 which was brutal. Again the poor thing had already passed on the side of the freeway but it somehow wasn’t clear of the road. So yeah it was a little brutal too see, and be part of.

In Seattle we played the El Corazon. I have been here now about 5-6 times (used to be called Graceland).Another city that loves the Souls is Seattle so this was going to be another good night. Last time we played here was about 1 ½ years ago and did 2 nights which was off the wall.
Also in Seattle my friend Nathan (is in Dead To Me but is someone I grew up with in Richmond) and I knew a bunch of friends from RVA living in Seattle coming to the show.

Another great thing about Seattle and the El Corazon is every time you play at this place (or from what I have seen) there are always bottles and bottles of odwalla juices in the cooler. I would say about 20 bottles of orange juice, smoothies, pomegranate juices.

The show in Seattle was fun and seeing my friends K8, Carry, and Chappy is always nice-old homies from RVA who have all been part of each others chapters.

This was the last day with the Dead To Me’s so we all had a little goodbye session outside the venue, got in our trucks and began our journey to Idaho.

The drive was about 500 miles or so from Seattle to here in McCall< Idaho where we are all holed up currently. McD and Dubs were kind enough too take the first 2 shifts of driving which was also god for me because my little bum was a little tired. I crashed out and they did their thing up front.
This morning I was woken up after a nice, long refreshing sleep so Dub’s could pull over and now get his rest he rightfully deserved. At this time we were on a 1 way road beside a crazy wild rushing river in the middle of the mountains. A huge wide load was on it’s way down so we were asked to stop and wait for the load too pass by. I took over and continued the drive up the mountain, through McCall and too the ski resort we were playing at today.
This part of the trip I have been looking forward to because of where we are and the scenery.
We arrived at this ski hill and began try to figure out what was going on. There was a sno mobile being used to transport 2 PA speakers up the hill to the lodge. Seeing that I knew this whole day was going to be like no other. At a ski hill, using sno mobiles too transport everything.
K8 had told me there wasn’t much for me too do so go have fun. The ski hill was giving us all free passes, rentals if we wanted which I did so I headed straight inside and got myself hooked up with boots, poles, and skies.
This is the 2nd time in the last 15 years that I have been on skies but I was pumped and knew it wouldn’t be a problem.
How cool! Most of my day was spent skiing the slopes in Idaho. Pete rented skies so we paired up and went to the top. We were about 6000 ft up and the weather was really really nice and warm. No layers, no ski pants, no gloves needed.
So off we went down the slopes of Brundage Mountain. I had no problem at all and it came back to me instantly as I was cutting back and forth down the hill. Over and over we did this until about 10 runs later we all called it quits to get ready for the next adventure that was in store. The souls on the patio of a ski lodge with a PA for the vocals and that was that. PUNK!!!!
Again another super cool thing taking place. I would say there was only about 80 people again all sitting on lawn chairs/ picnic tables in the snow waching the Souls do their thing. A couple kids drove up from Boise and there were definitely some locals who knew the band too.
During the set there we many snowball fights witnessed and egged on by the band and everyone. No one was “up front” or near the band at all. They were all sitting ways away so when this next thing happened it ruled. There were a bunch of dogs running around the mountain and after the Souls played one of their songs one of the dogs cruised into the middle of everyone and just laid a loaf. Funniest thing ever.
The show continued on with more snow ball fight, people drinking major amounts of beer and being ultra crazy. Mountain people I tell you are a certain bunch. We are all crazy in our own right but this group of folks was totally hay wire. I was into it. Again it’s not things you see all the time so take it all in.

After the ski hill adventures we made ourselves up another mountain too Greg’s house where we all are now mending our sunburns and all relaxing as hard as we can.

No comments: