Tuesday, December 25, 2007

the HELLACOPTERS- SPRING TOUR 2006

MAR 6TH, Atlanta mid-way airport

Another airport. Another flight.
I got home about 2 days ago after 16 hours of travel, no sleep at all, a load of laundry, still no sleep and now off again.

FULL THROTTLE.

I am totally feeling it to. In the last 2 days I wasn’t able to catch up on the sleep and last night didn’t get any sleep at all so it looks like today its going to be a little rough. First day blues and then some. Oh well. What can you do?

It was nice coming home but not nice coming home and then leaving immediately. Every major trip I have done…..Cuba, Turkey, Egypt, and Asia I have literally come home and left within a day. No time to really unwind. After such trips you come home and life at home is completely completely different then life in most parts of the world. You come home and see your friends for just minutes, everyones asking you about your trip and there is really no time for reflection, no time to tell stories and just no time to rest. This is the life I have chosen and I LOVE IT but sometimes it’s a little interesting/ insane. Theres a lot I have done but there is a lot I haven’t done. In the last 4 days I have spent WAY more time in an airplane then I have in my own bed. Not a comforting feeling seeing how I am completely over flying and in much need of a big rest. Again what can you do.
Being home was neat but weird. A totally totally different world then what I was just in the last month. A 360 degree change. Its interesting to just sit back and watch it all go down and all i can do is pretty much just be in your own little world because no one can really relate to my past month. I mean its kinda the story of my life. Ill never be able to put into words what its like to be in the 2 extremes and not being able to fully communicate what its like.

So tonight is the first night of tour. I am heading out with the hellacopters from Sweden and another band from the us named nebula. Haven’t met either of the bands but the hellacopters have the same management as the inc so im sure its all part of the same family.
I do wish this tour was with the INC but you cant have your way all the time. Most Swedes ive meet are all good people so im sure it’s the same with the copters. Im actually very excited about this tour. I mean I left the sticks in lao/ Cambodia to come home for this tour. I think its going to be a good good time. A full on heavy rock tour. YEAH!
I just need to catch up on my sleep and get my schedule back on track and its all good.

MAR 19TH, leaving Austin texas for Denver Colorado

Today ruled. Today we played the sxsw festival here in Austin. Sxsw is really bad cause its just a whole schmooze fest and the whole “industry” thing but then on the other hand it rules because you run into a lot of people you know from shows, different cities, and just the whole music culture. So yeah today ruled.
I woke up this morning to the sound of a bass drum in the distance over a PA. I came to the front lounge of the bus where the windows were down and heard a very familiar song. At first I thought it was just being played over a PA. I tuned in a little more and heard that this song was somewhat of a different version of the one I had heard. NO WAY!! COULD IT BE??!!!
We were supposed to play tonight with TURBONEGRO but they cancelled last minute which was a big bummer due to it being the only show on the tour I was looking forward to. Well today ended up being just as cool.
It was FEMI KUTI. Seriously I ran outside, into some venue with bed head and me wearing sweat pants. It ruled. I woke up and went to see femi kuti, his dancers, and his band soundcheck right next to our bus. WHOA!!! I was so so hyper. I asked their sound dude if that was their set and he said “no, they play at 2”. WHOA!!! It was noon and raining. I quickyly went to the bus, changed, caught a cab to a whole foods, and then caught a fun cab ride back with an apache Indian dude who ruled and when we pulled up to the bus blared a siren. It ruled. So I came back ate and then Kenny(Hcs bassplayer) walked through the loading entrance and watched femi.
Femis show ruled hard. 4 horn players, 4 dancers, keyboards, percussion, drums. Femi is seriously a very ripped person. By ripped I mean extremely fit and muscular. The dancers ruled and was extra cool when they sang the banck ups. There were probably about 400 people there, outside in the light misty rain all dancing watching femi. Every song he played I recognized off of his 2 albums so I was completely singing along.
This show ruled and made my day and actually added another incredible experience to the books.
After this show I cruised around for a bit and ran into some amazing people I am friends with. Heather and Margie. See that’s what this sxsw thing is cool for. You will just be walking and then outta know where you will see someone you know. Hung out for a little bit and was able to get into the show they were both at. Ted Leo and Thursday.
Stoked again big time!! I bought ted leos latest album a little while ago and its great and have since then wanted to see him live. Well today this happened as well. Ted Leo was goood, catchy and rocking and then Thursday came on and were good as well.
Once this show was over they quickly cleared everyone out and our show was next. All the streets were blocked off and completely blocked with trucks, buses so it was definitely crazy. An example why the festival is crazy for bands. Its seriously so chaotic. Anyhoo we got parked and it was time for our show. I think there were 6 bands tonight. There was a band that totally kicked butt tonight. The riverboat gamblers was their name and they are by far a great example of a punk rock and roll band. So so good live.

No comments: