Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Back from India and back at it again

March 15, 2010

Well I was home from my trip from India for 4 days and now I am off to Austin, TX for the South-by-South West music festival to begin tour with Metric.

The first week of this tour is quite something. Today we are flying into Austin where we will be for 2 days , then fly to Phoenix, AZ to play a festival with some old tour companions named Flogging Molly, the next day we fly back to Austin, TX where we have a day off and I plan on hanging with some friends whom are also in Austin, then Metric plays with Muse on Friday which I am really excited about. Muse just played the Bell Center in Montreal last week and are now playing a small venue in Austin with Metric. Fun times! And then finally we fly from Austin to Seattle, WA to tour down the West Coast. Non-stop travels!!

Definitely not the most environmentally friendly travels but I didn’t make the plans so am here to go with the flow. Ha.

India was truly one of the best experiences I have had thus far in my short little story. I have been asked a couple of times by friends/ family “How was your trip?” and honestly I can’t find an accurate answer. I answer with “good, great, amazing” and find myself wanting to go into it even deep then these descriptive words but can’t figure out what words to use which would actually convey how incredible the trip was. Plus I truly didn’t see any of India really because of the time on the farm. So when the question is posed I can only answer from that experience which was one of the most educational, hands on experiences I have gone through, and like I said hard to explain.

Coming home was definitely a mission. My body, and brain was awake for a total of 45+ hours (not being able to sleep on flights) going from one side of this rock to another side, and arriving on a completely different schedule. It’s the first time out of any of my travels where my body had a major reaction to the travels. For the 4 days that I was home my brain really didn’t function well at all, I was having the chills/ sweats, and the food that I took in wasn’t welcomed well by my system. Eating the same food (chapatti, rice, dahl and usually a cooked potato/ vegi dish) for a month at the farm with really no raw greens at all did a number. My first meal back home consisted of a fresh ginger/ apple/ lemon juice, a salad/ tofu/ rice bowl which seems like my body would have loved…Wrong.

Oh well.

Then on a completely other spectrum life at home is completely different in every way imaginable then life in India. The moment I landed in NYC I noticed myself checking my phone often for messages/ emails/ texts, and being around my computer I noticed myself on it more then I would like. These gadgets eh? At the farm time really didn’t exist at all but as soon as I landed I noticed my existence started revolving around time, which was quite interesting. Again I was only there for 1 month-no biggie- as there are people who go there for months, and months. Coming home for these people must be a total head fart.

On the farm I ran into some people from the Seed Sovereignty class who had much “Hope” (Brand Hope Inc.) in the future which was quite interesting as I wonder if that’s a good thing or a bad thing due to a false hope. Haha. I am asking myself “Am I coming across super negative right now?” as I don’t want to come across that way. Haha. Really!

I have so much fun in my adventures, have experienced the greatest things, have come across the most incredible people imaginable and I have a certain outlook in life which keeps me living my life a certain way. A fun way! There is no way I would ever be a defeatist and just “give up” as there is only 1 life, and it’s worth living it as best as I/ we can. But I still am not too hopeful.

Okay….This is where I am coming from with the whole “Hope” thing. Today at the Montreal airport going through the new “US Departures” section of the airport was a total head trip -the new full body scanner machines, the rubber gloves, and the swabs all trying to combat an unbeatable “war”. Ha. Then I was sitting on thee ol toilet having myself a lil poop when almost every single time I moved my body the toilet would just automatically flush. Really! Is there a reason the toilet needs to automatically flush 5 times in about 3 mins. Nuts. Come on! Ha. On the TV at the gate the latest images from the “War” in Afghanistan were being shown with more destruction, and more death.

Afghanistan is not to far from India at all and seeing the images of the people, and the infrastructure on the screen looked just like life would look like in India or many other places on this rock. We humans are really just trying to survive, and live our lives the best we can whether in Canada, Afghanistan, India or any other bordered country on this rock.

So what’s the need for war? It’s sick.

No comments: