Saturday, October 4, 2008

Too Many Factors To Cover

Oct 1st, 2008-

I’m currently flying from Washington DC to Atlanta to join forces with Ted Leo and the Pharmacists who are supporting Against Me! on a 5 week tour across the troubled country known as the “United” States of America.

I have never met the Ted Leo folks before but know that they are good peeps and know that I will have fun. My good ol friend/ roommate from Richmond Mr. Nathan Plummer (comic genious folks!) has been touring with Ted Leo for the last couple of years and is responsible for this next adventure of mine. Nathan has decided to hit the books, dedicate himself more to school so he hooked me up with this tour which rules. Thanx bud! So I know due to Nathan, his vibes and the people he surrounds himself with I will be in good company.

Oct 2nd. 2008


So I sit here this evening in a bar named Stages in a city, town, weird beach community named Hilton Head, South Carolina which is located about 30 miles Northeast of Savannah, Georgia right on the coast.

Tonight is night #2 for myself on this tour and night #3 for the tour itself. On the TV screens at the bar in this venue are the Vice Presidential debates being played live. No clue what is being said, or for that matter what is even being asked but most likely nothing of any substance whatsoever. On the debate note Canada also tonight had it’s National debates which I missed and wont get to see. I have checked the Globe and Mail sight (not the best source whatsoever but I find myself checking this “news” source daily..weird) and you cant really tell anything from the article so I checked the “comments” section to read what the people are saying. Again doesn’t sound like anything of any substance whatsoever. We are in trouble people!!

Against Me! has just taken the stage and the kids are pumped as they were last night. I missed Against Me! in their “prime” which some would say was years ago however there are also a lot who would say their “prime” is now. I just know that I have heard many o many a stories about their shows “back in the day”. I know many personal friends of mine would tell me stories about when they went to see AM! and these stories always sounded so so amazing however it was something I missed and that’s how it is.
Currently they do have a good live show and I think that is a good thing when presenting live music to the fans. Are they relevant? Not sure. They are however very very sweet people which I have always thought and for that I respect them deeply.

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists on the other hand the last 2 nights have blown me away. This is the 3rd time I have ever seen them and it’s the raddest thing. Yes I think they are relevant very much so and YES I do think they have blown Against Me! away both nights. Again just a personal opinion. Against Me! dudes/ dudettes are some of the sweetest people out there and yes I do like them but I just feel that the Pharmacists have this tour in their hand and that’s a obviously a good thing. It was also pretty funny to watch them this evening while the debates were happening on every television screen in the house. No one cared whatsoever about the screens and people were just drawn into the music which is hard no to be with this band.

Thus far the shows have had a far different turn out then I expected. Tonights show is very ill attended as was last nights show and I am not sure why. I heard last night that the whole Atlanta/ Georgia area has a huge fuel crisis happening which I had no clue about. From what I was told you are only allowed 5 gallons of fuel at $5 a gallon and most gas stations are dry. Crazy!! Again We are in trouble!! It’s happening all around us. So that was definitely a factor last night in regards to the turn out and the reaction but as for tonight I am not sure. Yes we are in a place which seems very small and off the map but I still thought there would be a couple more people here this evening. However everyone is having fun as we all did last night and ultimately this is all the matters.!!

No comments: